When the notice came in the mail that my drivers license was about to expire, I immediately started dreading having to go to the DMV. It probably came about a month before it was to expire, so I had plenty of time to think about how much I didn't want to go.
Going for a quick trip to the grocery store is hard enough, but factor in all of the lines, waiting, people, directions, and DMV employees and I was overwhelmed just thinking about it.
So on Friday I talked myself into getting off the couch, washing my hair and getting dressed to go to the DMV. The first part of my dread was having to borrow money so I could pay for a new license. I had to ask my estranged husband for some cash and it was almost as stressful as I had imagined. So I was already shaking when I got I the car.
Then I had to decide which DMV to go to. I've had really bad experiences at the one that's closer so I decided to go a little out of the way in hopes of having a better experience.
I got lost on the way there--I took the wrong ramp and ended up going way out of the way. Then there was a kid tailgating me (a huge pet-peeve) in a car with an already smashed up front end--not a good sign. As I turned into the parking lot where the DMV is, I felt like I had entered a parallel universe. Everyone was yielding to pedestrians and being altogether courteous. I realized that the proximity of the DMV was forcing everyone to be on their best behavior. I found a parking place with ease and hobbled into the building.
A very nice lady at a receptionists' desk asked what I needed and pointed me to the correct line. I waltzed right up to the front of the line, and the officer kindly took my license, attached a number to it and directed me to sit down in a specific area to wait until my number was called. In less than 90 seconds, my number was called. This was the only part of the entire experience that was a little sketchy. I have absolutely no ability to understand people with accents. Do you ever have this problem? I can't even understand native Americans half the time due to some quirk in my nervous system...so understanding people with accents is very difficult for me. I had to ask her at least four times to repeat herself and she was getting really irritated with me. We finally got through the interview and an eye test and I was directed to the Cashier. Once again, no one in line in front of me and I toddled up to the nice lady who took my borrowed $30 and directed me to the photo area. Oh, no. It's not time to update my picture is it? I don't have any make-up on! Well, I never wear it anymore so I guess the world should see me without it. The photographer was one of the sweetest people I've had contact with in eons. That job has to be monotonous; sign here, smile, chin up, wait, here's your license. Sign here, smile, chin up, wait, here's your license all day...urgh. I admired his ability to make the best of a really boring job by being as kind and interactive as possible to everyone who came his way. The bathrooms are just behind him, so he had the lovely job of pointing the way when he wasn't doing his "sign here, chin up" thing.
After a very short wait, I was given my license; leaving, I noticed once again that everyone in the parking lot was extremely kind. How restorative! I got back home in record time.
The entire experience was not worth all of the stress I put myself through for a month. It was actually almost pleasant! For someone who rarely goes out, it was a nice interaction with mankind.
I put myself through quite a lot of stress for a month for absolutely no reason. I once read that stress is caused by trying to do something about something that you can't do anything about.
I take my hat off to Jesse White, Secretary of State of Illinois. He has some great DMV offices and a great tumbling team! (No, I'm not up for re-election or stumping for Jesse.)
No comments:
Post a Comment